A lot of women have been suffering from bacterial infections in the vagina; one of the most common is Bacterial Vaginosis. It is normal for one to look for possible treatments that can help ease the pain and the other symptoms it causes.
BV is a simple infection and there are a lot of treatments that can be used…
But Can you use coconut oil for Bacterial Vaginosis?
Is it safe to use?
Can it help treat BV symptoms?
Or is it just another fad with no proven results?
In this article, we will focus on the topic of Coconut Oil for Bacterial Vaginosis. If you have BV and you want to know if it can help, then read on.
How Does BV Occur?
A lot of factors can cause bacterial vaginosis. It usually occurs when there is an imbalance of the vaginal flora. The vagina just like other parts of the body contains bacteria, both good and bad.
Lactobacillus are the bacteria in charge of keeping the vagina slightly acidic, the pH of a normal vagina varies from 3.8-4.5. The lactic acid produced by the Lactobacillus keeps the vagina safe from foreign pathogens. When the good bacteria suddenly decrease in number, it allows other pathogens to grow and multiply and cause havoc in the vaginal ecosystem.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bacterial Vaginosis?
- Painful and itchy vagina
- Painful vagina after having sexual intercourse
- Change in the vaginal discharge, thin whitish-grey discharge that is usually accompanied by foul “fishy” odour.
Risk Factors That Can Cause BV
1. Bacterial Vaginosis can happen in different ages but studies have shown that women who are in their childbearing years are the most at risk of the infection. Women who are ages 15-44 years old and are sexually active can get BV more than those who do not practice unprotected sex.
2. Surveys done found out that there are some ethnicities that are affected by BV more than others. African-American and Mexican-American women tend to develop BV more than other ethnicities.
3. Women who frequently carry out vaginal douching are at more risk of getting BV than women who don’t.
4. Women who have had a female sexual partner have a higher risk of getting bv than those who do not.
5. Pregnant women are at risk of bacterial infections due to hormonal changes in their bodies. Pregnancy also affects the immune system and the reproductive organs.
6. using soaps, scented feminine products and laundry detergents.
What Is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is an essential oil that offers a lot of health benefits. It can be used as a lubricant and moisturiser. It can also be used as a short term treatment against bacterial infections in the vagina. Extreme caution must be taken because it is alkaline which means it can affect the genital tract and can erode the protective acid mantle in the vagina.
Don’t use it when using latex condoms during sex, it can weaken the latex condom and can break after a few seconds.
What Are The Benefits Of Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits. One of them is being able to kill harmful pathogens. It’s made up of fatty acids, one of them being, 12-carbon lauric acid. When lauric acid is digested in the gastrointestinal tract, a substance called monolaurin is formed.
Lauric acid and monolaurin have been proven to kill pathogens like fungi, viruses, and bacteria. Studies have been done showing these substances being able to kill Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans.
Using Coconut Oil To Treat BV Symptoms?
You can try this regimen:
- Prepare 2-3 tsp. of virgin coconut oil and place inside the freezer for a few minutes. Take the semi-solid coconut oil and place it inside the vagina. Let it sit for a few minutes until it melts. This method can be done once a day.
- Add coconut milk to your daily smoothie as it’s rich in coconut oil. 1/4 cup of coconut milk can be used as a substitute for whole milk when making smoothies for breakfast.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut with 2 tsp of lemon juice and water. It can be taken in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Use a tampon with coconut oil and insert it for 4-6 hours inside the vagina. It helps relieve bv symptoms and keeps the vagina feeling clean and fresh. It also removes the foul odours that may linger about.
Bacterial Vaginosis is an infection in the vagina which can possibly be treated using natural home remedies. One of them is coconut oil.
Coconut is known for its healing, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. A lot of individuals usually prefer to use natural treatments over antibiotics as usage of antibiotics comes with unwanted side effects.
Coconut oil can be used to control bacterial vaginosis symptoms and a lot women have noticed it clearing their bv symptoms, even restoring their vagina’s natural condition. It can remove the bad odour and normalise the vaginal discharge.
People with allergies must consult their medical care provider to make sure it’s safe for them to use.
Using different chemicals can affect and disrupt the vagina’s natural balance.
But will using coconut oil change the pH of the vagina?
Even if used in low quantity, the pH of the vagina will not be affected because the coconut oil contains fatty acids, which are not soluble in water.